Delhi based dermatologist Nivedita Dadu shares tips for the perfect skin & common mistakes made by most that lead to breakouts
1. Same skin care products that you are using since class sixth till today when you are in your 20’s or more: Many a times girls probably were using a whole of products designed to fight teen acne. As you grow your skin texture also changes and demands extra care and protection. For instance if you have acne you can’t use the same product which you have used in your teenage with the same harsh chemicals. Make sure you choose and use the product according to your skin type.
2. Washing face with soap: Soaps contains harsh chemicals which are not at all meant to be used for face cleansing. The skin’s pH level is a major factor contributing to skin problems. We have to keep in mind that ordinary commercial soaps have pH levels between 9 to 11, which increases the skin pH level leading to problems. Soaps and cleansers shouldn’t be used frequently on the face as they can make the skin dry and irritable.
3. You touch your face often: Many of us have a habit of touching our face with dirty fingers or even plucking a pimple. Touching face with hands introduces more oil, dirt and germs to our skin. Not only that our hair care products can also get on our hairline or face which can block pores. Try and keep hair away from your face when possible.
4. You are not drinking enough water: Not drinking enough water affects our skin very badly leaving the sheer dryness on the body. To prevent the skin from drying no matter what drink at least 3-4 liters of water in a day. It could be in a form of unsweetened water also like green tea with lemon drops or flavored water without sugar; always stay hydrated even if you are not feeling thirsty
5. Sticking to your phone: Yes, your phone snuggles with your oily skin and hair often. A lot of bacteria accumulates on your phone and when it came contact with your face, it causes blemishes. Not cleaning your phone screen can trap dirt, make up etc which leads to breakout.
6. Skipping sunscreen: even if the weather is cloudy or in winters the UV rays get through and exposure adds up but many people tends to skip using sunscreen. Protect your skin from the sun as it can cause tanning which will eventually lead to wrinkles and increase your risk of skin cancer. A sun burn can dry out pimples temporarily, but it can end up making you break out even more, so use a high SPF of 30 or more for sun protection before stepping out.
7. TV remotes: Remotes whether TV or AC are loaded with tons of bacteria which can easily transfer to your fingers and then to your face which eventually leads to breakouts. Please do clean all the remotes with anti bacterial wipes once a week and don’t forget to wash your hands after handling the remotes.
8. Waxing your face: It’s a complete NO. Sometimes you might notice breakouts when you wax your face. Waxing induce breakouts might look like red bumps or whiteheads.
9. Sleeping with make up on: Not removing your makeup before going to bed induces the night clogs and open pores and oil glands. When makeup becomes impacted in pores, it makes them appear larger. Once your collagen levels decline, the pore won’t snap back as easily once it has been enlarged. It also leads to inflammation.