Dr Priti Shukla, Plastic Surgeon, Ambrosia Clinic Hyderabad Shares top 5 procedures currently dominating the cosmetic and dermatology industry. Hashtag Magazine gives you a lowdown…
5. Collagen stimulating procedures: Our skin produces collagen which makes our face look supple and plump. These are the signs of young skin. As we age, our skin starts losing its elasticity or collagen build up and starts to sag. This is where the technology of collagen-producing procedures is applied. Therapies such as Ultherapy, Therma Arch and RF Microneedling are well known. These work on the inflammation, acne scars and wrinkle concerns of the skin and produce a naturally youthful look, by tightening the skin. These benefits come with zero downtime or surgery.
Right age to get them done: It is safe to start anti-ageing treatment at any age, but the health of our skin matters the most. Think of it like this, if you start anti-ageing treatment at 50 years, the range of product doses increases, directly influencing the cost. If you start maintaining your skin’s health early on, then your skin ages slowly and you won’t need high dose treatments later on. Also, if you start late, the results may considerably vary.
4. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP): In this procedure, the client’s own blood platelets are used to rejuvenate the skin. PRP is versatile, and it is used not just in cosmetics and dermatology, but also for hair growth, healing the musculoskeletal issues as well in dentistry. The client’s own healing system comes to the rescue and this procedure is one of the safest anti-ageing treatments.
Do’s, don’ts and downtime for the procedures:
A few of the above mentioned anti-ageing treatments have no downtime. These procedures should be done in a doctor’s clinic and take about 30 minutes to 45 minutes.
Therapies like laser, Ultherapy, and peels have slight burning and tingling sensations, but counter-productive measures like anaesthesia cream, numbing gels, and cooling creams are applied before the procedure.
Trained and experienced professionals like plastic surgeons and cosmetologists have several pain control techniques that improve comfort during the treatment. The type of fillers and experience of the doctor matters significantly when it comes to skincare and anti-ageing treatment.
Also, one should not forget to inform the doctor about previous beauty or surgical treatments, blood thinning agents or supplements. The entire medical history should be mentioned to avoid interaction or allergic reactions. If you undertook any previous face treatments or tummy tucks, let the doctor know about it. All this is for your safety and success of the latest treatment.
3. Laser, Peels and Ultrasound therapies: Various laser and peel procedures are available to resurface the skin, diminish the fine lines, and fade acne or pigmentation marks on the skin. These procedures are directed towards the superficial concerns of the skin.
Common myths & facts:
Myth: People think that anti-ageing procedures should be done every month or quarterly. They also feel that once anti-ageing treatments are stopped, withdrawal symptoms come up and ageing occurs faster. This trend is thought to have started with Botox. Fact: Botox produces lasting effects on the skin and slows down ageing. If you stop taking Botox, you will not start to age suddenly, as the ageing process has already slowed down. Chances are you will look younger than your contemporaries.
Myth: Face will look artificial, odd and frozen after the use of fillers. Fact: Overdoing fillers can cause a distorted or artificial look. Here the experience of the doctor and the expectation of the client need to be considered. It is not the filler at guilt here, but the amount used to create the effect. Many people have natural-looking plump lips, and a toned face even after using fillers.
Myth: Deaths due to Botox!!- Fact: This is untrue. Botox is used to treat cerebral palsy and squint-eyes in children. It is absolutely safe to use Botox irrespective of years of use.
Myth: Non surgical treatments give the same result as surgical treatment. Fact: Non surgical cosmetic treatments can compete with surgical cosmetic treatments, but only to an extent. The effects or results vary between the two. Facetite and Bodytite are surgical procedures that have excellent effects on fine lines and ageing. Expecting the same from fillers and Botox is not fair, and these nonsurgical treatments are only for superficial skin concerns. Same sounds true for minimally invasive procedures. One cannot expect similar results as the surgical procedures have, as the involved layers of skin are different.
2. Hyaluronic acid fillers– Hyaluronic acid or hyaluron is a naturally occurring substance present in our skin, eyes and connective tissue. Its principal property is to retain the skin’s moisture so that the tissues stay well lubricated and hydrated. Due to its versatile benefits, it is one of the most famous and most recommended anti-ageing treatments. The effects of hyaluronic acid injections are evident quite soon. This treatment effectively reduces dark hollows around the eyes and provides immediate hydration.
- Start early by around 30 years of age and start small.
- Select your beauty providers based on qualification, experience, the technology used and reviews.
- Do not rely on cost comparisons alone to decide who the treatment provider will be. The cosmetic industry is flooded with cheap and fake alternatives who do no good but have the potential for more damage.
- Actively participate in discussions and ask for sample pictures.
- Maintain good overall health with a good diet. Women nearing menopause or in menopause will need extra care when it comes to cosmetic treatments as hormonal changes influence the health of the skin.
1. Botox– The most famous of all anti-ageing treatments is Botox. Made famous by celebrities, this cosmetic therapy works very well to reduce fine lines, sculpt the face, and even add a glowy-freshness. Botox or Botulinum toxin is a neurotoxin protein produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, which when injected in micro ml doses can reduce signs of ageing like wrinkles. The effect of this treatment lasts for 3 to 12 months.
Pro-tip: Beauty is skin deep so eat a well-balanced diet before relying on cosmetic procedures alone.